For more than 1,000 years, the historic Castello del Lago has dominated the center of Lake Como off Northern Italy’s famed ‘golden shore’. Once connected by walls to the village of Varenna below, it served as its protector during the wars of the Middle Ages. The estate was transformed into an exotic getaway in 1980 by Venetian architect Tobia Scarpa for then owner and modern Italian furniture magnate, Piero Ambrogio Busnelli of B&B Italia. The ‘PAB’ monogram embedded in the castle’s kitchen terrace pays homage to the Castello’s former owner.
The estate features a private lakeside boat slip and terrace, multiple patios perfect for al fresco dining, an olive grove and has statues scattered about the rambling gardens. The stone floors, vintage furniture, cabinetry and one-of-a-kind lighting fixtures by Tobia Scarpa have been lovingly restored by current owners Ron Thomson and Vania Giusto to create an authentic and worldly experience where the tranquility and natural beauty of the region are simply intoxicating.
With sweeping views of Lake Como from every window, guests can stay either in the castle or the chalet. Each two-story residence boast three bedrooms and two bathrooms with access to a pool, rooftop terraces and living quarters complete with all the modern comforts of home.
Access to quaint villages along the lake like Bellagio, Varenna, Lenno, and the must visit village of Villa Carlotta, are just a water taxi ride away. Lake Como is also ideally situated for day trips to Lugano and St. Moritz in Switzerland, the Italian Alps, Milan, Portofino, Bergamo, Lake Garda, and Verona.
Marvel at the breathtaking scenery while exploring the area’s art, luxury villas, and manicured gardens. This once-in-a-lifetime experience is perfect for relaxing in the unparalleled natural beauty and glamorous region that many celebrities call home.
- 2 separate residences – the main castle and the chalet
- The main Castle is 4,625 sq. ft. and has 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms; 1 king, 1 queen and 2 twin beds
- The Chalet is 4,625 square foot and has 3 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms; 3 queen beds
- Multiple outdoor terraces and patios
- Lovely gardens with an olive grove
- Sweeping views of Lake Como
These are representative destination properties. Your destination property, while of comparable value, may vary based upon available inventory at time of booking and travel.
- Heated pool
- Private lakeside boat slip and terrace
- Both shore and water activities are available including waterskiing, sailing, wind-surfing, hang-gliding and scenic mountain trails for hiking
- A boat ride to Bellagio, a lovely village along central Lake Como, offers a wonderful Italian experience
- Ski day trip options include the Swiss Alps and northern Italy
- Nearby lakes including Maggiore and Grade and unique islands like Isola Bella are easily accessible
- Milan is 1 hour from the estate where you’ll find great fashion, shopping and art including da Vinci’s Last Supper and a visit to the La Scala opera house